Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Every Four Years I Get Older


For a short period of time, once every four years, a strange thing happens, and for me to cope, sometimes, I need every extra nerve pill I can find. The only thing that saves my sanity is the realization that this, too, shall pass. At some point during this period, I wake up to the fact that too many of my friends are politically minded, and not necessarily in the way I am. It is as though some government entity comes in during the dark hours of the night and builds an invisible fence between me and everyone else I know. And while it is inconvenient, even I have to acknowledge that it serves a distinct purpose.

Election day is finally here, and within a week to ten days, I feel confident that life will return to normal, or at least as normal as my life has ever been, and my friends will once again be my friends. This year, however, has been unique with issues that should not ever have been issues, at all, and life may be altered from what i...
t has always been before. This year, emotions have been stirred and it has come to a head in my head. Due to the thoughtlessness and irresponsible politics of this election, and quite possibly my age and intolerance of the status quo without consideration, I have changed my habit of keeping my mouth shut and ignoring all those things I used to let slide off my back.

I have to go vote, now, but I will be back, and I will come back different. Gone are the days when I just shut up and turn a blind eye to the trends of the day and the representation of politicians who dismiss the issues that effect me as unimportant because they don't effect them. Unfortunately, I will come back more vocal and more outspoken than anyone would ever want me to be, and although I would hate to lose any of my friends because of it, these are changing times and we have to change with them or be considered fools for not having adjusted.

So, this is good-bye to those who won't be able to tolerate the new me, and a thanks to others for accepting me as I adapt to who the past fifty years has made me become. It's been a roller-coaster ride and I'm not ready to get off just yet, but instead will declare my independence as I move on from this date. Cheers!

You can ignore me. I don't know what I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment